So there's this song we sing at church. Moving Forward. The Chorus is pretty simple, but as with many simple things, quite profound.
"I'm not going back. I'm moving ahead, I'm here to declare to you, my past is over in you! you've made all things new - I'm moving, moving Forward"
Recently, I've been thinking and meditating on so many things. The other day's blog post "Dangerous Decisions". Today I received in our couples devotional "The Big effect of little choices". It was about Samson and Delilah. His parent's didn't approve of that relationship, and after a while, we see why.
Last night Jeff and I had a very long, very serious conversation about 'little choices' we've made in our dating relationship. In some instances, they were choices made out of our desire to spend more time together, but their "Big Effect" has taken a toll on our newly formed relationship.
I've had to ask myself - am I moving forward? Is my past over in Christ? 2nd Corinthians tells us we are NEW Creations in Christ. (2 Cor 5:17) So why do we, even after so many years, continue to act and behave as though we are still our old selves? Why do temptations, laid dormant for years, suddenly come up and test us again? Why do we allow ourselves to be pulled in a direction other than God's plans and purposes for our lives?
One major question is - as a person in a new relationship, who has the bigger voice in my life, my boyfriend or my heavenly Father? Now don't get me wrong. I like Jeff very much. He's a good man, who loves God with all of his heart. (a very important quality for me). But the reality is that God calls us to be completely whole in HIM - not in a boyfriend or relationship.
The reality is that all of our relationships, whether it's a boyfriend, a husband, child, parent, friend or trusted mentor should propel us CLOSER to God. If they don't, it's time to evaluate. What and where did I make little choices that didn't result in bringing me closer to God? Then get with God. Tell him where you missed it (trust me he already knows) or ASK him where you missed it (He'll tell you!) and then make a choice to move "forward". The Lord's mercy and compassion is new every morning. EVERY Morning you wake up with a clean slate. It just doesn't get any better than that.
I have to admit, that of all the songs we sing at this new church - this one is by FAR my favorite one. How many of us have truly chosen to leave our past, as our past, and move Forward in Christ?
No comments:
Post a Comment
oh I just love to chat with you! Go ahead and leave your comments!
I read them all and I will answer too :)